Charleston Wedding Planner – Cocktail Hour
The cocktail hour came about as brides realized that their guests would be bored sitting in a reception hall without any food, drink or entertainment while the Wedding Party was getting their photos taken. Now some cocktail hours are the highlight of the reception.
Guests enjoying Jazz in a lounge setting during cocktail hour
Charleston Wedding Planner Recommendations for a Good Cocktail Hour
- If you can do as many of the Wedding Party photos before the ceremony so that you can keep the cocktail to an hour or less.
- If the cocktail hour and reception are at a separate location than the ceremony provide maps and or directions as most guests will not bring their wedding invitation with them.
- Consider whether the cocktail hour will take place in the main reception hall or in a separate area. Many brides are doing standup cocktail receptions so that guests have room to mingle.
- Provide music, whether these are the ceremony musicians staying after the ceremony or the DJ setting up & playing before the main reception, but keep the music low enough that guests can hear one another speak.
- Serve food and drinks as soon as the cocktail hour begins. This says to your guests “We are thinking about your comfort” and its’ a great way to ensure your reception stays energized
- Consider what style of food you want to serve. Stationary fruit and vegetable trays will have a hard time competing with passed appetizers which include seafood or meats.
My role at a cocktail hour, as a Charleston wedding planner
The cocktail hour is often one of the busiest times of the wedding for a wedding planner. Often we have to move décor from the ceremony to the reception, clean up flowers before it gets dark, light candles, check in on vendors who arrived after the ceremony started, ensure the guests are taken care of, retrieve family for the photographer and most importantly ensure the bride and groom are taken care of. At one wedding one my major cocktail hour tasks was to ensure the bride’s puppy was safely returned to the hotel!
Contact us if you are looking for a Charleston wedding planner!