Charleston wedding planner – Top 10 Budget Mistakes
As a Charleston wedding planner, I can’t remember the last day I didn’t look at a wedding budget.
While they are all unique there are some general rules that apply to all budgets. Here are the top 10 budget mistakes
1. Thinking that the total amount that you want to spend on your wedding as “The Budget”. A real budget has multiple categories including venue, vendors and shopping
2. Beginning shopping before you have a complete budget set up. The two categories brides are most likely to go over if they shop before they have a budget breakdown are venue and wedding dress.
3. Not including as much breakdown as possible. For example catering should not only include a per person rate but anticipate the 30% for taxes, service charges and gratuity.
4. Not having the budget set up in a user friendly format such as excel.
5. Underestimating what the venue and vendors will cost. These will definitely require some research prior to completing a budget.
6. Not having a plan if parents are other relatives are contributing. It is best to have them pay for the areas that are important to them. For example if mother of the bride is likely to be pinning $300 centerpieces on your Pinterest board, you might want to have her pay for the flowers.
7. Not anticipating when payments are due. The venue and vendors will all want 25 – 50% down as a deposit or retainer to hold your date. Most will also want the final payment 2 weeks to 2 months prior to your wedding.
8. Not reviewing your budget before meeting with vendors and/or not letting them know what your budget is. This can save you both an incredible amount of time.
9. Not adjusting your budget as the planning goes on. If you go over budget on a particular vendor the best way to deal with it and stay on budget is to go back to your budget and decided then and there where you are going to make the difference up.
10. Not hiring a Charleston wedding planner! We are budget experts who can guide you through the confusing world of wedding budgets.
For couples who are planning a destination wedding, in my experience as Charleston Wedding Planner is that couples coming from smaller communities sometimes don’t take into account that they are getting married in the #2 wedding destination in USA and don’t realize the pricing may be more expensive than their home town.
Charleston Wedding Planner, Tanis Jackson, knows budgets!
Accredited Bridal Consultant
Contact us today if you are looking for a Charleston wedding planner!