Obtaining a Marriage Licenses for your Charleston Wedding – Berkeley County, Charleston County and Dorchester County
Requirements for a marriage license for your Charleston Wedding South Carolina
1. Bride and groom must appear together and file a written application. This application will contain the following information: Both persons seeking the contract of matrimony are legally allowed to marry together with the full name of the persons, their ages and places of residency. A sworn statement that must be signed by both contracting parties and notarized in the presence of the Probate Judge in which the license is to be issued.
2. There is a twenty-four hour waiting period after the application is made before the license can be picked up and the parties can have their Charleston Wedding If you are planning on getting married on a weekend, be sure to apply on Thursday so you can pick up the license on Friday.
3. Applicants eighteen years old or older do not need parental consent. Applicants between eighty and twenty-five year old must present one piece of identification. Identification may be one of the following:
A valid driver’s license
Original birth certificate or a certified copy of the birth certificate
A valid S.C. identification card issued by the S.C. Highway Department
Current military identification card
A current passport
4. With parental consent males and females must be at least sixteen years old to be eligible for a license. Any applicant under the age of eighteen years old must file an original birth certificate or a certified copy of the long form thereof, which becomes part of the permanent record of application. The parent or legal guardian of the minor applicant must appear at the same time as the minor to present identification and sign a form consenting of the marriage.
5. No blood test or physical exam is required for a Charleston wedding
6. No proof of divorce is required, though instances are known where a clerk of the court asked for proof of divorce if it had been less than a year.
7. There is no residency requirement. You do not need to be a resident of South Carolina or the United states to marry in South Carolina, except in Myrtle Beach, which will not issue a marriage license to foreign nationals. Go to Georgetown or Charleston Counties.
8. You may apply early as licenses never expire.
9. You may obtain your license from any SC courthouse and use it in any other county, but licenses are only valid for marriages performed in South Carolina.
Marriage License Fees for a Charleston Wedding
Fees for a marriage license for you Charleston wedding:
Charleston County – $70
Dorchester County – $40
Berkeley County – $50
CASH ONLY. Cheques and credit cards are not accepted at any location. For an additional $20, the Berkeley County Probate Court will perform the ceremony.
Court House Addresses:
Charleston County Probate Court
Marriage License Division
100 Broad Street, Suite 469
Charleston, SC 29401
(843) 958-5191 (Fax)
8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Dorchester County Probate Court
101 Ridge St.
St. George, SC 29477
8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Berkeley County Probate Court
300 California Ave., # B
Moncks Corner, SC 29461
9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
“Where modern ideas meet old fashioned service”
Call us today if you need help planning your Charleston Wedding!