Charleston Wedding Planner to DIY or Not?
DIY – Do it yourself. If you are planning a wedding it’s a phrase you will become familiar with very quickly. With the average wedding taking approximately 250 hours to plan, unless you have purchased a very comprehensive full service wedding planning package with your Charleston wedding planner taking care of most tasks, there is a great chance you will have to do some DIY.
When contemplating whether to DIY remember the “F” word. No we aren’t being naughty, this isn’t that kind of blog. F is for fresh. Anything that needs to be fresh on the day of your wedding is not a good choice. This includes flowers, catering and the cake. Ideally all your DIY projects should be done two weeks prior to your wedding. The last few days will be spent tying up loose ends and answering family and friends questions. Do you really want to be one of those brides who is assembling programs the morning of her wedding?
Charleston Wedding Planner DIY Photos
Charleston wedding planner -Great DIY wedding projects:
1. Wedding websites – There are lots of free sites out there that allow you to post your wedding information, including maps & directions, pictures, gift registry information and who is in the wedding party. Free, easy & helpful.
2. Paper goods – invitations, programs, place cards, menu cards and thank you cards are all easy projects that can be done ahead of time and save you money.
3. Centerpieces – while tackling florals are on your big day might not be the best idea, there are plenty of non-floral centerpieces you can make in advance. Think candles, feathers, underwater centerpieces, and gemstones. There are a couple of samples on this blog. Your Charleston wedding planner is full of ideas!
4. Décor – anything that can be arranged in advance. Guest books, ring bearer pillows, flower girl baskets are all items you can add a personal touch to without a lot of skills. Most of these items just require a glue gun and who doesn’t love a glue gun?
5. Favors – one of the easiest DIY projects especially if you plan on giving edible favors, especially candy.
Not as great Charleston wedding projects:
1. Candy buffet – I admit my bias as this is a service I offer and hope that my clients will purchase from me, but I also know it very easy to spend $300 just on the jars and scoops, which is more than I charge for the service. If you want a lot of jars or plan to resell this is a good project, but if not you might want to leave it to the professionals.
2. Transportation – even if you can’t afford a limo, have someone else drive you to and from your wedding. This is your time to relax and enjoy yourself
3. Beauty – this is one item I think all brides deserve. This is your day to be pampered. Put down that curling iron.
What about when friends say they will help out? Then should you consider the F word? This really depends on what it is and how it is handled. See our blog article on “friendors.”
Tanis Jackson Accredit Bridal Consultant www.tanisjevents.com
Call us today if you are looking for a Charleston wedding planner!