Charleston wedding planner – Creating a wedding photo list
As a Charleston wedding planner I can tell you if you are planning a wedding, it’s a good idea to consider preparing a photo list to give to your photographer.
You might think if I am there and she or he is there then how could they possibly miss getting the shots you want or that you got through your engagement shots without us. Here is the case for the photo list
- Engagement photos are a good opportunity to get to know a photographer and be comfortable with them and in front of the camera, but during an engagement shoot a bride and groom do not have to follow a timeline as they do during their wedding. They are also most likely by themselves and don’t have to consider the time it takes to take photos of many people in multiple groupings.
- By having a photo list neither the bride nor the photographer have to think about the content of the photos and this cuts down the stress for both.
- By having a list the photographer will be able to work through it quickly allowing more time for the artistic, photojournalistic shots that are very popular.
- There may be people who are extremely important to the bride who are neither family nor in the wedding party and the photographer will not know about them unless listed.
- A bride may want an extremely limited number of posed photos and needs to let the photographer know this in advance.
- There may be photos that are completely unique to a bride and groom that most couples aren’t interested in. For example the SC Aquarium has an animal lab couples can pose in. Most couples might not be interested in this but my bride and groom, who were both nurses, thought this would make a fantastic photo.
- The bride may want to capture every single detail from favors to the ice sculpture. Often a photographer will be busy taking photos of her getting ready and will have to make time to ensure these are captured. The bride may also want photos of the reception set up before any guests have entered and often the photographer will have a very narrow window between the time the reception is fully set up to the ceremony time.
- As a Charleston wedding planner I always ensure that a bride’s photo list and her contract line up with her wedding. If the list is very long it might not fit within a traditional cocktail hour in which case either the cocktail hour is extended or more photos are taken before the ceremony.
- A bride needs to ensure the photos she wants lines up with the hours she has contracted with the photographer. For example if a bride wants photos of herself getting ready right through to the big send off and has only contracted for six hours this is not going to work out.
- If the hours do not work out sometimes there are ways of rearranging the timeline to line up better with the photographer. For example many couples do their wedding party shots ahead of time. Sometimes they opt not to see one another but do all the female wedding party and all the male wedding party. Sometimes they opt to do a first look photo. Another option if for couples to do a “faux sendoff”. This works well for couples who have a longer reception and don’t necessarily want 2-3 hours of guests dancing photos. The couples pretend to do a sendoff and then everyone comes back in and continue dancing.
- There may also be Charleston SC wedding photos that are very popular right now but that the bride and groom do not want. For example the “Wedding Party jumping in the air” photo is very popular but not all brides are comfortable jumping up and down in their wedding gown.
Most brides would not consider wearing a stethoscope for a Charleston SC Wedding photo, but this bride is a nurse, so she added it to her photo list.
As a Charleston wedding planner one of the saddest things I can hear after a wedding is “We didn’t get the photos we wanted”. The bottom line is that preparing a photo list ensures that a bride and groom are far more likely to get the exact shots that they want, capturing all the best memories of their Charleston SC wedding.
“Where modern ideas meet old-fashioned service”
Contact us if you are looking for a Charleston wedding planner!